Email with Thunderbird, Compose with Emacs

My Mac let's me use emacs keyboard shortcuts everywhere. I'm really sad that I don't get that in Linux. How the universe ever got into this state is beyond my comprehension. Mail.App has gotten me hooked on emacs keybindings when typing emails especially.

The solution in Linux, it turns out, is to just use emacs. I already have It's All Text for Firefox, with emacsclient as the editor. I just found External Editor for Thunderbird, with emacsclient as the editor and tbemail-mode for extra goodness. I think that'll do.

Comments

Karthik said…
If you're on Gnome, you're in luck.

The common emacs keys can be made to work in every text field (including the browser in Gnome.)

The short version:

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme Emacs --type string
oylenshpeegul said…
In addition to the Gnome configuration, I also tell GTK with

echo 'gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"' > .gtkrc-2.0

You'll still need External Editor though, as Thunderbird is surly and won't respect C-n and C-p.
Anonymous said…
Perhaps this is due to Firefox and Thunderbird being Windows-first applications?
Bryan said…
Yup, I tried both the gconftool and the .gtkrc-2.0 tricks, and c-n and c-p in Thunderbird were killing me.
Anonymous said…
That's what i was looking for.Thanks for sharing...

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained