Emacs next-line Changed Behavior?

I just made a macro to do some quick-n-dirty editing and noticed that c-n, or next-line, acts funny. If the line is long and wraps, it goes to the next visual line, not the actual next line of text (as delimited with a newline). Inconsistently, c-e, or move-end-of-line, still goes to the end of the actual line, not to just before it wraps (moves to the newline). This is with emacs 23.0.60.1, which isn't an official release, so maybe that's just what I get for being bleeding edge. Anyway, it was kind of weird and I wanted to document it. I like the old behavior of c-n better, but the c-e thing allowed my macro to still be possible.

Some good that came of this was that markhepburn noticed this too, and google picked it up, and now I can see all the other cool emacs discoveries he has posted in his twitter feed.

Comments

Bob Erb said…
(visual-line-mode nil)

Because visual-line-mode is yucky and making it the new default is bad.
Gord Wait said…
Agreed, I wondered why my keyboard macros started going south.
Dumb move emacs people. I've been using emacs since the 80's - partially BECAUSE it doesn't get it's UI rearranged every release!

Was there some sort of notice that I clicked through warning me of this change?
Anonymous said…
This is how to have it act the old, good way, moving by logical lines: Put this in your ~/.xemacs/custom.el :
(setq line-move-visual 'nil)
Thank you thank you thank for the .emacs file fix!

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained