New Job, New Focus

I have a new job! I am now a verification engineer at a relatively new hardware company in Utah. I worked on digital design and verification stuff back during internships in college and then for the first few years that I worked full-time. Then about five years ago I switched over to embedded software. It's fun to be back in the hardware design world. Better verification and system modelling was a hot topic five years ago, and it looks like a lot of progress has been made in the intervening years. It's really cool to see. Another big win with the new job is, no more windoze! ASIC designers know a good development environment runs on Linux ;-)

I mostly use this blog to write down helpful reminders for myself, and as a start, here's my first verilog tip. Code browsing with ctags works for verilog too! I used find to get a list of all our verilog files and put that in a file called, file-list.txt. Then I generated tags like so:

ctags -e --verbose --language-force=verilog -L file.list

One huge oversight of emacs verilog-mode is that they overrode the pop-tag-mark keybinding to insert a multi-line comment instead. I got distracted with other things so I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure that's not too hard to fix.

Anyway, I'm excited for the new opportunity. In closing, here are some verification blogs that I found, but haven't read much of. Yet.

How's that for a focused blog post?

Comments

Anonymous said…
What's the '-e' option for ctags?
Anonymous said…
Uh, nvm. I'm can't read manpages apparently.
Julie and Andy said…
Bryan I don't know if you knew but I always read your blog even though I have no idea what you are talking about! haha, I hope you keep enjoying your new job!
Scott Frazer said…
Yeah, the pop-tag-mark thing is a really dumb decision:

(defun my-verilog-hook ()
(define-key verilog-mode-map "\M-*" nil))

(add-hook 'verilog-mode-hook 'my-verilog-hook)
Bryan said…
The '-e' is for emacs, of course.

Hi to you too, sis!
Bryan said…
Thanks for fixing verilog-mode for me, Scott!

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained