Carefully Upgrading to Django 1.0

I’m a little behind, but I finally upgraded my family website to Django 1.0. First of all, I wanted to keep the main site running my older version of django from subversion while having 1.0 installed and being used by the development version. First I added the old install to my apache configuration’s PythonPath. Here’s the diff:

-   PythonPath "['/home/bryan/web/murdockfamily'] + sys.path"
+   PythonPath "['/home/bryan/web/django_src', '/home/bryan/web/murdockfamily'] + sys.path"

Then I deleted the symlinks to that django install from any site-packages locations:

sudo rm /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django

Then reloaded apache:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

And it seemed to still work.

Next I untarred Django 1.0, and installed it:

tar -zxvf /home/bryan/downloads/Django-1.0.tar.gz
cd Django-1.0
python build
sudo python install

I restarted apache again at this point to make sure the production site was still running. Thankfully, it was.

Then I started up the development server in the development branch of the family website and saw it fail while trying to use Django 1.0. Sweet. Just for sanity’s sake I did this to make sure it still worked with the old version:

$ PYTHONPATH=/home/bryan/web/django_src ./ runserver
Validating models...
0 errors found

And the world is still sane. The next step, of course, will be to fix those errors I got when starting the development server with Django 1.0. I’ll let you know how that goes.


Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

Git Rebase Explained

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'