gam_server

I installed digikam on a whim at work (f-spot has been annoying me lately, so I thought I'd check out the kde equivalent), and then noticed that my network usage was up pretty high. I ran top and something called gam_server caught my eye. Since it had server in the name I figured it might be network related. Some quick googling around and I learned that gam_server monitors changes to files on your filesystems. Some people mentioned it causing problems with nfs mounted filesystems, which I definitely have a lot of here at work. Others mentioned it being tied in with KDE at a pretty low level, and one forum post on gam_server even mentioned digikam by name. So, on another whim, I did an aptitude remove digikam. My network activity dropped back to near zero.

And then I figured I better write that tidbit of information down in case it could come in handy later. That's all. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained