Migration from Mandriva to Ubuntu

This was originally posted on my family blog on 4/17/06. I will be slowly moving the geeky stuff from there to this blog.

The promise of easy OS upgrades with Ubuntu has lured me to make the switch. It was a pain to upgrade Mandrake versions last time I did it. People always talk about how easy it is with Debian/Ubuntu. I've been pretty impressed with the online help for Ubuntu too, way better than I've seen for any other Linux distribution. So I'm making the painful switch. If you see the website not working, you now know why. I've realized, more than halfway through this, that it was much easier to upgrade from one version of Mandriva to the next than it is to go from Mandriva to Ubuntu. Package names and configuration file locations and defaults are all just different enough to make it a very manual process. How sweet it will be go upgrade from Ubuntu Breezy Badger to Ubuntu Dapper Drake with a few apt commands (and it better work!!!!)!

Here's a few web pages that have helped me out so far:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained