A Small Backup with Mondo

This was originally posted on my family blog on 4/6/06. I will be slowly moving the geeky stuff from there to this blog.

I tried backing up just the Documents directory in my home directory with mondo. It went much much faster, of course, but at the end it wouldn't restore. Weird. So I tried again and used less compression this time. It gave a strange error message at the end:

Boot+data floppy creation failed. However, FYI, you may burn /root/images/mindi/mondorescue.iso to a CD and boot from that instead if you wish.

But the restore still worked fine. I think I got the same error the first time too. The differences the second time were, I used the default iso file name of mondorescue, and I used minimum compression. Why didn't the boot disk creation work? Maybe it couldn't make the boot disk because I didn't back up anything under /. Who knows.

I guess if I stick with mondo I'll have to double check each backup and make sure it works.

I just ran the exact same mondoarchive again, hoping it'd be smart and do a differential, but it doesn't seem to be. I guess I'll have to break out the man page and use the command-line for that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SystemVerilog Fork Disable "Gotchas"

'git revert' Is Not Equivalent To 'svn revert'

Git Rebase Explained